Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Internships // SELF Magazine

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Yesterday, Career Services held a job and internship fair in our student center. As one of the top business, communcations, technology and medical hubs of the universe, the possibilities for internships in NYC are somewhat endless. I spoke to a couple of representatives from book publishing companies and handed them my resume in the hopes of lining something up for the summer. Planning ahead of time is something you try master as a college student.




While I'm taking the spring semester off to soak in one of my last at Fordham (okay, I'm being dramatic, I still have 2 full semesters left but still...I can already foresee how much I'm going to miss it here!), I did manage to intern three days of the week last semester. Every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday I took the Metro North and the five minute walk to Times Square to my internship at SELF Magazine. I helped the assistant accessories editor with sample trafficking and editing. Not only did I get to see (and keep) some awesome stuff, but I learned a lot about the editorial side of the industry that I didn't know before. I'm not sure what the future holds for me as far as magazine work is concerned. It's incredibly fast-paced and only for certain individuals. But regardless, my experience at SELF was definitely a learning one. I made great connections and still keep in touch with my boss, who was the coolest mentor I could possibly ask for. I even got to go on a very creative photoshoot for beauty and saw a completely different aspect of the magazine. One of my fellow interns was even featured in the January issue of SELF in an article about finding the perfect pair of jeans! How sick is that?



Whatever profession you're interested in, you'll be able to explore and decide if its right or not right for you through internships in the city. They are accessible in so many ways. You can go to our Career Services offices or find one on your own (like I did). Fordham stresses learning outside the classroom and there's no better way to learn about yourself, your work ethic, and your abilities than tackling an internship like so many of us do, head on. (Plus, sometimes they lead to full time jobs and what could be better than that?)
 
--Posted by Alex McGinn, FCRH 11'

No comments:

Post a Comment